In this blog post you'll find a beginner friendly tutorial for how to make a yarn tassel. You'll find helpful pictures and a step-by-step video that will help you succeed with your make!
If you prefer video over text and pictures I’ve made you a video tutorial for how to make a yarn tassel. Like and subscribe to my Youtube channel for more yarny tutorials!
Are you a teacher? If you want you can use this tutorial for educational purposes!
Tassels are one of my favourite ways to use up scrap yarns and a tassel can really transform a boring bag or a simple shawl! I've used my tassels to spice up a plain shawl and boring door handles in the apartment. How do you use your tassels?
HOW TO MAKE A YARN TASSEL
Watch the video tutorial for how to make a yarn tassle here.
- a book that’s a bit bigger than your finished tassel
- sharp(!) scissors
- a tapestry needle
1. Vrap the yarn around the book approximately 20 times, depending on how thick you want your tassel to be. You can use the long or the short side of the book depending on how tall you want your tassel to be.
2. Tie the top of the tassle snuggly and leave some yarn so that you have something to attach or hang the tassel with.
3. Remove the tassel from the book.
4. Tie the yarn to the tassel.
5. Wrap the yarn around the tassel approximately 6–10 times, or until desired length, tight!
6. Thread tapestry needle and finish of the wrapping.
7. Cut open the tassel and trim the ends of the tassel evenly.
8. Attach the tassel to your desired bag, keys or wall.